I love Eastern European sponge cakes.There are so many recipes of this cake! I am going to share our family recipe. I personally love this cake because it can soak any flavour in. You want a strawberry, or citrus, or chocolate or coffee cake? Just follow this very simple recipe for the cake layers and add any flavour your soul wants by adding the syrup you like.
The most important thing in sponge cakes is to get the consistency of the whipped eggs right.
Vanilla sponge cake
Flour (sifted) – 1 cup
Eggs – 4 – 5 eggs
Sugar – 1 cup (I always put about ¾ to 4/5 of a cup) vanilla extract – 1 tsp baking powder – 1tsp (especially if you are new to baking)
Preheat the oven to 350 F
1.Cut parchment paper to fit a 9″ round cake pan or butter the cake pan.
2. Beat the eggs on high speed, gradually adding sugar until thick and fluffy.
(You can also beat the egg whites and egg yolks separately and then fold the egg yolk mixture into egg whites. This will make the cake even more airy. If you do, remember to only use dry and clean whisk and bowl for egg whites)
3. Mix flour with the baking powder. 4. Fold flour in until well mixed but be careful not to over mix. (The more fluffy it looks the better)
5. Pour into prepared cake pan. 6. Bake for approximately 25 – 30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out dry. (My oven is hotter than most and it usually takes 23-25 min.)
7. Cool for a few minutes, remove from the pan and let cool completely. (It has to be room temperature to touch)
8. Cut the cake in half lengthwise.
9.Make the syrup you want to use and generously brush the layers with your syrup
This is the most simple syrup you could make
¾ cup of water
¼ cup of sugar
Flavour extract– optional (usually about 1 tsp)
Bring water to boiling, add sugar and take the water off the stove. Let sugar dissolve, add extract and let it cool to room temperature.